In this article
The 27th week of pregnancy marks the end of the 2nd trimester. During this week, pregnant woman’s uterus is now nearing up her rib cage which gives her a hard time to breathe.
The mother in week 27
An expectant mother will have an overall puffy physique (particularly swollen ankles and feet) by week 27. In fact, 3 out of 4 pregnant women experience mild swelling of the extremities. Aside from that, here are the other symptoms which occur this week:
Week 27 symptoms
Dizziness happens during pregnancy due to the increased levels of progesterone. This hormone increases the blood flow towards the growing baby and vice versa. This then drains the mother – to – be’s blood pressure as well as the blood supply to her brain.
On the bright side, the mother’s body is gearing up to meet the unborn baby’s demand of needs.Pregnancy week by week
Restless leg syndrome (RLS)
Did you know that about 15% of expectant moms experience restless leg syndrome? RLS is a painful and disconcerting tingling sensation which radiates from the feet up to the legs. What causes RLS stems from these various theories:
- Iron deficiency
- Sensitivity to certain types of foods
Nasal congestion and nosebleeds
Nasal congestion (commonly called as clogged nose) which is usually accompanied by nosebleeds is caused by the high levels of the pregnancy hormones (progesterone and estrogen) and increased blood flow to the body’s mucous membranes.
Gums tend to be more sensitive when a woman is pregnant due to the heightened presence of the progesterone and estrogen. These hormones make the mouth more vulnerable to bacteria and plaque build – up.
Dry and itchy skin
The skin becomes dry and itchy (particularly on the breasts, butt and belly part) since it becomes deprived by moisture. This happens because her skin is being stretched to its extreme to accommodate the growing baby.
Round ligament pain
Round ligament pain happens when the thick bands of ligaments around the belly are being pulled to its extreme.
Pregnancy hair and nail changes
A mother – to – be’s hair and nails grow faster. Her hair grows more lustrous while her nails grow brittle.
Snissing is a combination of peeing whenever a soon-to-be mom sneezes. This is because the developing baby puts on some pressure which results to frequent urination.
Production of breast milk
Progesterone and estrogen stimulates the mammary glands to produce breast milk. These hormones also aid in the formation of milk ducts – lobes in the mammary gland located at the tip of the nipple.
Belly button morphs out
The belly button (navel) morphs out or becomes an outie at week 27. This is due to the expanding uterus which pushes the abdominal cavity forward.
Expectant mothers experience leg spasms because of the added weight of pregnancy they carry. Apart from that, here are the various theories which said to be the cause of the symptom:
- Change in the blood circulation which aggravates the legs
- Pressured nerves and blood vessels due to the growing baby’s weight
- Low levels of sodium chloride
Piles (medically known as haemorrhoids) occur when the blood vessels in the short tube which connects the rectum and the anus swells up. Furthermore, here are some other indicators of piles:
- Appearance of bright red blood when wiping the anus
- Soreness and inflammation of the anus
- Mucous discharge after pooping
- The feeling of still needing to poop even after emptying out
- Itchy anus
Visible varicose veins
Varicose veins are the network of bulging blue, purple, and reddish veins. These veins become visible since the weight of the unborn baby, uterus, and placenta pressures the pelvis and inferior vena cava (large vein).
The pressure on the inferior vena cava makes it harder for blood from the legs to travel towards the heart.
Sciatica is the shooting pain in the lower back and legs.
Fetal development in week 27
The baby – in – waiting finally reaches the 2 pound mark. If he is born during this week (pre – mature labor) she would survive at a 90% rate. In the 2nd trimester, new formations and definition takes place at week 27 such as the following:
- The baby – in – waiting stretches for about 13.6 – 14.8 inches from head – to – toe standard and tips the scales at 1.5 – 2.5 pounds. He is not only developing physically, his intellect develops as well. In addition to that, he is still snuggled in a slightly curled position inside the uterus (fetal position). Furthermore, if the father pressed his ear to his wife’s belly, he might be able to hear the fetal heartbeat.
- At week 27, growth spurt will occur as he will be growing a full inch in just a week.
- The soon – to – be baby’s brain activity is getting more complex. By the same token, the unborn baby is also having his own dreams. This is because the characteristic channels on his brain’s surface are beginning to appear. Plus, more brain tissues are forming.
- He has already developed some wake and sleep patterns.
- Baby’s bones begin to harden (ossification process)
- Arms and legs are nearly the size of what they will be during the time of birth. With that being said, his arms and legs are already proportionate to the rest of his entire physique.
- The unborn baby continues to practice his breathing skills – inhaling and exhaling with his rapidly developing lungs. Since air is not available inside the womb, the amniotic fluid serves as his primary source of oxygen. Chances are the occurrence of hiccups increase (which will serve as belly spasms to the mother’s part).
- His eyes are already capable of opening and closing (blinking) and moving in a side swept manner.
- His auditory senses are still under progress as the network of nerves continues to mature though, what he hears is still muffled. This is because his ears are currently covered with vernix caseosa (a waxy and protective covering on the skin). In a like manner, he is already capable of hearing outside and in – utero sounds. Therefore, this is the best week to read the unborn baby some nursery rhymes and lullabies.
- His taste buds are already fully developed. As a matter of fact, babies have more taste buds at the time of birth than he will have as he grow later in life.
Pregnancy tips for Week 27
Week 27 serves as the end of the 2nd trimester and the beginning of the 3rd trimester. Since the next trimester will also be the last, an expectant mother must still do the right things to ensure her body and her baby’s health and safety.
Things to do during the 27th week of pregnancy
Week 27, the 2nd to the last week of the 2nd trimester, to end this trimester right an expectant mother must do the following things:
Do some hip openers
To flex the hips, do some hip openers. Here are the step – by – step procedures when performing the said exercise:
- Sit in a butterfly position with the soles of her feet together
- Knees open wide in a diamond stance
- Use elbows to open the hips further
- Do this every day for at least 30 – 60 seconds
Slather on some lotion
To prevent stretchmarks, dry and itchy skin, slather on some lotion to keep it moisturized.
Bathe on colloidal oatmeal
Colloidal oatmeal is a fine ground whole oats which is soothing on skin. Drop a couple of cups of these into a warm bath and dip in.
Wear comfy clothing
The journey of pregnancy is accompanied by a series of pain and discomfort. To allow the body to move freely and breathe easily, she must wear comfy clothing. When buying some comfy clothing, consider the following key pointers:
- Loose – fitting clothes
- Easy – to – shed layers
Warm – mist humidifier
Place a warm – mist humidifier inside her room to turn the air into a nose – soothing moisture. Apart from that, a humidified room keeps the skin moisturized as well.
To prevent the dryness in the nasal passages, smudge a small amount of petroleum jelly in each nostril using a cotton ball.
Maintain a healthy oral hygiene
A healthy oral hygiene is necessary while a woman is pregnant. Always make sure to brush the teeth and tongue thoroughly, floss, and gurgle on a mint mouthwash before and after every meal.
Eat some cheese
If she is craving for some sweet treats or if she cannot brush her teeth after a meal, chew on a small chunk of cheese. A cheese have anti – bacterial properties which is a perfect alternative for cleaning the mouth.
Smudge on some anti – itch cream
Smudge on some anti – itch cream on the affected areas. Consider using a pink calamine lotion which is used to cure chicken poxes.
What to avoid at week 27
Flatulence – causing foods
Flatulence (commonly known as farting) often occurs while a woman is pregnant. To prevent farting, she must consider avoiding this flatulence – causing foods such as:
Sleeping and/or lying using the back
Do not sleep and or lie using the back at week 27 (the borderline between the end of 2nd trimester and the beginning of the 3rd trimester). This kind of sleeping position presses the vena cava (a major vein which carries the blood.
Get plenty of Vitamin C
An expectant mother is recommended to take at least 250mg of Vitamin C. Getting plenty of Vitamin C strengthens the capillaries which decrease the occurrence of nosebleeds and nasal congestion.
Get plenty of calcium
A soon – to – be mother is required to take plenty of calcium to keep her teeth and bones healthy. Having enough calcium in her body also supports pregnancy since the unborn baby tends to seep up the calcium in her mother’s bones if she lacks of it.
Over aggressive brushing
Do not be over aggressive while brushing the teeth since it can only worsen gum inflammation.
Avoid flossing the teeth roughly as it will only damage the sensitive gum tissues.
Sweet and sugary treats
Avoid eating sweet and sugary treats while pregnant since the mouth is more prone to cavities and plaque build – up.